It only makes sense to write a post titled ‘insomnia’ at 5 am. I’ve already been awake for45 minutes. Lying in bed…. waiting for sleep to come…. I’ve already checked my email, and facebook, and google reader. And this is after waking up 5 times in the middle of the night to pee. And of course Little Miss Lulu is usually awake at this time rolling and kicking and stretching out (or trying).

Viddy is upstairs sleeping. Probably snoring. The kitty is keeping me company – he’s purring like a car motor – probably just happy someone else is awake.

I decided to either write a blog post… or fold laundry. Guess what won?

We went to the hospital tour last night. Viddy enjoyed it because he learned a little bit more about what to expect. I enjoyed it because I got to hospital compare. We both enjoyed it because we got to people watch. There were probably about 30 other couples there. Some more interesting than others. There was the overly affectionate couple (Dude, we know you got her pregnant, we’re assuming your the dad – please save the belly rubbing and nuzzling for somewhere else… thanks). The man without his spouse who was apparently under very clear orders to take copious notes. The woman with some kind of family drama. And there was the man who looked like he should be someone’s grandpa… but no, he was a father-to-be.

I feel fairly comfortable in hospitals. I know the routine. I know the equipment. I know the culture. I kept looking around and admiring things (the hospital I’m delivery at has a lot of new high techy stuff – like a telemetry (portable) fetal heart monitor that actually works AND is waterproof! I’ve had many patients that would have loved that). And the rooms are huge. And everyone gets a private postpartum room. So while the midwife was going on about what to expect and paperwork and such, I wanted to hunt through drawers and see what they had and talk to the nurses and talk shop. That’s usually what I do when I’m in a hospital room or doctors office unsupervised – I look through the drawers and talk with the staff. But I kept my mouth shut. I was just a tourist.

When I’m actually delivering it’s going to be interesting. Last time I was in the hospital to be monitored and, you know, make sure I wasn’t going to have a baby 10 weeks early – I was adjusting my own monitors, watching the computer, explaining to Viddy what was going on with the other patients and their babies, and chatting it up with the nurses.

The reality of actually having a baby is kind of sinking in. Kind of. In 3 weeks I’m going to be in “the window” as Viddy likes to say. The window starts at 38 weeks – the 2 weeks pre and then post due date, when most babies are born. I don’t think she’s going to be early. More than likely she’ll be late if family history has anything to do with it. Whenever she decides to be born (or when she’s evicted – whichever comes first) we’ll be ready, at least when it comes to having the stuff. Are we emotionally, physically, mentally ready for a new baby? Well… ready or not! She’s going to show up!

One comment to Insomnia

  • Brynley  says:

    Good luck!!! I hope all goes well! good luck in the last weeks. they can be hard.