Parties, Traffic Violations, and Losing Things

This past weekend Dave and I went to Utah. I haven’t been in Utah in about a year. It was a great trip, but, Wow, did we have an adventure.

Day One (Friday)

We flew into Salt Lake via New York (Thank You, Jetblue terminal for being AWESOME). We arrived at 5.30, Grabbed our rental and headed off to Provo. My Bridal Shower was planned for 7.30. Oh, and we got In-N-Out on the way. Major Yum. I inhaled it like I hadn’t eaten in 4 days. MmmmMmmmmmm…. So I got to Stacey’s house and had chocolate fondue (as a salute to the Very Well Known Bekka/Lacey/Steph Chocolate Parties). I got to see my wonderful friends, talk and laugh and talk and laugh some more. It was SO GOOD to see everyone. I miss all my friends in Utah so so so much. I got great presents, but mostly I was able to see and and talk to and hug and laugh with everyone.

Day Two (Saturday)

I wake up, and I can’t find my make-up bag, airplane neck pillow thing, Dave’s sunglasses, and my NYC t-shirt. All of these things were supposed to be in my suitcase. I unpacked and repacked my suitcase, like, 6 times. And everything has completely disappeared. Somehow my suitcase came unzipped and everything important fell out while I was walking to my friend’s house. We found the tshirt and the neck pillow thing. But the make-up? Dave’s sunglasses? Gone. No More. I’m going to a wedding, and my

make-up bag is gone. (AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!). Dave says, it’s fine, you don’t need make-up, you look beautiful. (Thanks, Honey, but … not to a wedding). I wanted to cry, but I wasn’t going to let the first time I really cry in front of Dave be about make-up. I do have some self respect, even though I’m freaking out about make-up. And to make matters worse, it’s not walmart make-up. We’re talking Bare Minerals, yes, the stuff from the infomercials. Pricey.

After I freaked out, we went to breakfast with Dave’s sibs (and sib-in-law). Way fun. Took my mind off my little dilemma. And off to Dave’s grandma and grandpa’s house we went. I was able to meet them for the first time, we talked and got to know each other briefly, and then Dave and I had to take off like a plane to continue our adventure. And I had a brilliant idea. Nordstrom’s make-up counter. We went there, I told them my sob story, I had 3 make-up ladies around me, grieving with me for the loss of my make-up. And they sat me down, and did my make-up, gave me replacements and threw in a complementary make-up bag for free. PHEW. Disaster Averted.

We went to pick up Dave’s friends, got In-N-Out (for the second time – YUM). And were merrily on our way to the Bountiful Temple. We’re right about to the freeway when something strange happens. We’re just all talking and laughing in the car and Dave pulls over to the side of the road. Is it the GPS? Do we not have the right directions? Is something wrong with the car? Nope. We’ve been pulled over by a cop. FOR MAKING A WIDE LEFT TURN. I’m not even kidding. And the cop has the GALL to chat it up about the temple and where we’re going and thanks us for wearing our seat belts. AND HE GIVES DAVE A TICKET FOR MAKING TOO WIDE OF A LEFT TURN! Seriously, the ticket says “Improper Left Turn.” (For the love of all that is good …) And then we’re running late to the temple. Fabulous. We barely made it to the sealing in time. The doors were shut, we snuck in to the back, standing room only. Thank Goodness we made it!

The reception after was lovely. I got to know Dave’s friends better and we had a great time. We danced for the first time in public. We had great gluten free food (Thanks, Josh and Kim, for making sure we could eat :D).  Dave and I both felt that the universe cosmic balance had been reached with all the crazyness we’d already been through. Dave says that if this kind of weirdness is what we have to deal with because we’re so happy, then it’s fine. We just laugh about it. And the rest of the evening went great (with the exception of a little mishap with the bride and groom’s car… but it worked out fine in the end).

Day Three (Sunday)

My brother was going to come down to see us, but unfortunately that didn’t happen. The good news was that Dave and I got to sleep in (I was running on about 8 hours of sleep total for the last two days…).

Lacey made us some great quiche. We went to church with Dave’s sister and brother-in-law, relaxed, went up to Sandy to meet Dave’s Aunt and Uncle, and then off to Salt Lake for our flight. We went to eat at this great Mexican place, called the Red Iguana (Well, if we were going to have to buy food, it might as well be good food! This place has been featured on the Food Network – major YUM). And we stuffed ourselves with enchiladas and mole.

We were on a red eye from Salt Lake to Long Beach, Ca to D.C. Real efficient use of our time, but it was JetBlue, I can’t really complain. It was a perfect end to a crazy weekend. So we thought.

Sometimes I get air sick. I’ve never thrown up, I just get queasy. But some combination of the enchiladas and the turbulence just didn’t work well together. Let’s just say that I learned a new talent that I have: puking quietly.Everyone around us probably just thought we opened a bag of Mexican Food. But no, I was just puking mostly digested Mexican Food. When we got to Long Beach I got a Coke and then proceeded to snow myself with Dramamine. Lots of Dramamine. By the time we arrived in D.C. at 5.30, we got our bags, and Dave  dropped me off at my place, it was all I could do to walk upstairs and crash on my bed for the next 6 hours. Dramamine = Sleep.

Lessons Learned: 1) Just laugh 2) When in doubt, tell the nice make-up ladies your sob story and they will make everything better  3) When renting a car, opt for one with in state license plates 4) Don’t eat a big meal, then get on a plane, unless you want to re-experience that meal. 5) Sleep is good, drugged sleep is also good.

Tags:  ,